Sunday, January 29, 2012

Waking Up Beloved...

So I was sent a copy of Henri Nouwen's book, Life of the Beloved. In this book Nouwen was attempting to express to some secular friends what it means to be chosen by God. I admit, I'm a person who reads slowly, but this book I read in a day. While the initial goal was to reach secular friends, there is a chapter at the back which indicates he may have been more successful in presenting what it means to be beloved in a clearer way than he had articulated before. He speaks of his life in a community with mentally handicapped people (the word of the time) and how they challenged him to key into the simple things in life.

Sometimes I am intimidated by my former students - some of whom are so brilliant that they regularly beat me at words with friends! I often practice what Nouwen calls 'self-rejecting' behaviors. However, reading his words about what it means to be chosen by God truly lodged in me in a way that I don't think they have for a while. It reminds me of when I worked on YMCA camps in Norwich and someone would often say "God is good!" to which everyone else would reply, "All the time!" Abiding in the truth of being chosen is both a blessing and a challenge... to remain in the simplicity of that is important but it can be difficult to get still enough to listen.

There are so many compelling reasons to notice the petty annoyances that go on around you... the people who push in line at the popular restaurant, or the fact that the car wash doesn't quite get all the grime off the window... but let's face it, celebrating the great things in life is a much more worthy pursuit... I mean, I was BOUGHT breakfast today, and I got to eat that breakfast with some people that I love a lot.

As someone who is beloved I am grateful, and I should dwell in gratitude more often than complaining... so I guess today I am challenging myself to do just that.

Hope is vital!
Rosie

4 comments:

  1. Love the post. Keep doing this. And I agree with the sentiment also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading your blogs, Rosie, so keep them coming!
    For those who might be interested, I've invited Rosie to preach at my church and you're all invited: Sunday Feb 12, 11 a.m., The Village Church, 3992 Monroe Street, at Central Ave, Toledo. For more info about the Village go to www.villageohio.org. I hope no one is offended by this commercial/invitation but I am blessed to know Rosie. She is going to preach about her reflections on part of this wonderful book by Henri Nouwen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosie, I love this post. Mind if I link to it in a future post on my blog?

    I'll have to read this book!

    ReplyDelete