Sunday, January 8, 2012

Waking Up Grumpy!

So this morning, I woke up and wanted there to be a mum here for me. Don't get me wrong, my mum is in England, and I'm not! So, anyway, this mum was a sort of fantasy "Mary Poppins" mum .... In my imagination she'd walk in the room, immediately 'intuit' all the things that needed to be done to make me feel better, then she would magically go about doing it. It would be wonderful!

As she would start organizing the tasks needing done, she would also have a sense of my 'exhaustion' at figuring this out... she'd put the kettle on and say, "Let's have a cuppa, shall we? And then when you've told me what's weighing you down, you can go for a nap!" Wonder of wonders, I'd get to nap and when I'd wake up MAGICALLY... everything would be done...

Yeah, well needless to say, that never happened. In fact, I had to pick myself up by my bootstraps and get on with it myself. I wish young people (who complain about their parents) would understand that the day comes when there isn't a 'magical' parent hovering around the corner to set everything to rights.

So instead, today, I just had to take care of me. I went to church, did grocery shopping, laundry, and some cleaning. As I type a pot of goodness is cooking on the stove... enough food for the week for me, and any strays who might turn up needing sustenance. I guess today, I had to be the mum I was looking for! And you know what, at the end of the day, it's been a good one!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how this resonates! I needed a mum today, too. Being a grown up can be so lonely sometimes...

    This post was my encouragement, though, and tonight I am pressing onward.

    Thanks, Rosie.

    ReplyDelete